The brand new ministerial agency “Ocean Affairs Council” and its subordinate third-level agency “Ocean Conservation Administration” came into existence in Kaohsiung on April 28th, 2018. Being grateful for blessings and expectations from citizens, the Ocean Conservation Administration will survey the changes in the marine environment and species of Taiwan, encourage public participation through the use of technology, and build citizens’ connectivity to marine conservation while adhering to three basic principles: “the objective and continuous science-based data,” “openness of information,” and “cooperation among public and private sectors.” From our first year in marine conservation, we pursue the goal of CHS: “Clean Water,” “Health Habitat,” and “Sustainable Resources.” By planning and gradually implementing each solution, we hope to leave clean water and sustainable resources for future generations in Taiwan, and leave a healthy habitat for marine species.
1. Plan, coordinate, and implement the protection of the marine ecological environment.
2. Plan, coordinate, and implement the conservation and repopulation of diversified marine life. 3. Plan, coordinate, and implement the integration of marine protected areas.
4. Plan, coordinate, and implement the conservation and management of marine resources (fishing industry resources not included).
5. Plan, coordinate, and implement the integration of marine pollution prevention and control.
6. Plan, coordinate, and implement coastal and marine management.
7. Plan, coordinate, and implement the promotion of marine conservation education and information.
8. Manage other marine conservation affairs.